With large, modern offices in the heart of Darwin City, DN Bell & Associates has been operating from its Cavenagh Street premises for more than 30 years.
DN Bell & Associates was started by Principal Duncan Bell in October 1982, and has become a leading specialist tax and business advisory services Practice.
We employ a highly skilled team of qualified Accountants, Bookkeepers and support staff. Our team provides a personalised approach, tailored to each client and their industry and reporting needs.
Given Darwin’s proximity to Asia and the multicultural mix of Darwin’s population, we have established a strong language diversity with Accountants having native language skills in Cantonese, Malay, Vietnamese and Indonesian. This is a strong selling point for our services to overseas clients and new arrivals to Australia.
Our Management Team
Duncan Bell - Principal
Qualifications / Memberships
Chartered Tax Adviser (2012)
Licenced Business Agent 824 (2010)
Fellow, Certified Practicing Accountant (2001)
Fellow, Taxation Institute of Australia (1996)
Bachelor of Business, Accounting (1983)
Registered Tax Agent (1981)
Commissioner for Oaths – CO 0039 (1981)
Member, Australian Institute of Company Directors (2007)
National Tax Accountants Association Ltd
Australia China Business Council
Duncan has had a diverse professional working life, starting out at 18 years old working full time for a Chartered Accountant and studying part time. From there Duncan spent almost four years working in the Department of Law Registrar Generals office as the Deputy Registrar of Land & Business Agents and Company Investigations unit. In 1983 he joined the Sutton Motors Group as the Business Manager of a multi-franchised car and truck dealership, where he gained a wealth of commercial accounting and reporting experience. During that time Duncan was also Chairman of the Darwin branch of the largest Australian owned advertising agency, a position he held for 11 years until the sale of the business to a Canadian company.
Duncan was first registered as a Tax Agent in 1981 and has provided Taxation and Accounting services continually since then, expanding the business with the acquisition of the Mann Judd Wallbridge Darwin practice in February 1987.
Duncan has been involved in finding solutions for small to medium businesses and providing growth strategies, taxation advice. He has set up foreign Corporations in Indonesia and the USA, joint ventures in Australia, merged businesses and sold businesses. With an intimate understanding of finance and banking, he acts as virtual CFO for a number of clients, has acted as Trustee and Executor on deceased estates, and mentors clients and staff on business growth strategies and professional development.
Duncan’s vast experience in business start ups and Business Planning has underpinned the successful start up of hundreds of businesses over the last 30 years. Duncan is also highly regarded for his expertise around Business Valuations, Forensic Accounting and Litigation support.
Duncan is licenced as a Business Agent under the Land and Business Agents Act of the Northern Territory and has become the ‘go to person’ in Darwin for Business Divestments Mergers and Acquisitions.
Duncan gets a great deal of satisfaction in helping clients develop successful business operating plans, as well as Succession planning and Exit Strategies. Duncan has always had an interest in national and global events and economies and how these impact on Australia and importantly the Territory economy. Having a watchful eye on economic and industry risks, is paramount in preparing clients to cope with change such as the current economic downturn in the Territory.
Amy Qin - Practice Manager
Amy is a dynamic part of the DN Bell & Associates leadership team since 2011. Amy’s focus on continuous improvement and development has motivated her to complete a number of courses and professional development programmes, to remain at the forefront of new and ever changing legislation and reporting requirements.
Diploma of Financial Planning (2018)
Registered Tax Agent (2014)
Certified Practicing Accountant (2010)
Bachelor of Economics in Accounting (2000)
Graduate Certificate in Financial Accounting (1997)
Amy has over fifteen years of industry experience working in Public Practice, specialising in Tax for small to medium businesses. Throughout this time Amy has developed an excellent rapport with her clients, who appreciate Amy’s ability to identify issues and then come up with practical and timely solutions for their bookkeeping, Accounting and Taxation needs.
Amy also brings with her substantial hands on experience in not-for-profit Aboriginal corporations, having ten years’ experience as both Chief Financial Officer and then subsequently Chief Executive Officer of a large Aboriginal corporation.
Amy is passionate about cloud accounting and specialises in MYOB and XERO accounting software and enjoys assisting clients to choose the right accounting software to best suit their needs, and setting up their accounts from scratch. She believes the potential in cloud accounting is massive and will have a very positive impact for business owners and accounting professionals in the coming years.
Having lived in Jabiru, Kakadu National Park for six years, Amy loves the Northern Territory, the natural beauty of the Outback and the laid-back ‘can do’ lifestyle. Darwin’s multi-cultural community and facilities, where everything is close by and accessible for her family, also means that her three daughters can participate in extra-curricular activities including additional language courses.
Amy is confident about the future of the Northern Territory. With Mandarin as her native language and the globalisation of the world’s economies, she has been able to expand the profile of the Practice with memberships to the Australia China Business Council and sponsorship of the One Belt One Road conference, held in Darwin in 2018.
Ethos. Pathos. Logos
Ethos, Pathos, Logos are the underpinning ideals and drivers of our commitment to clients.
Ethos is the Ethics with which we approach our client work. Professional ethics are critical to maintaining client confidentiality, professional standards and respect in the way we deal with clients, the ATO, banks and any other stakeholder.
Pathos is the empathy we have to ensure we understand our clients needs and concerns, in order to enable us to produce a tailor-made solution that meets each and every client’s expectations and requirements.
Logos is the logic we apply to systematically working through client matters, from a simple tax return to the most complex business structures, disputes and litigation support.
Over the last 32 years, DN Bell & Associates has assisted clients across a wide spectrum of industries to grow and develop their businesses. Understanding the market forces and the unique differences and drivers of industries, as well as being able to identify inherent industry risk, has enabled us to help clients successfully grow and develop their businesses, scaling up and down depending on what point in the industry cycle the client, and organization, is at.
Some of the Industries that we have developed specialised skills in include:
- Construction – Electrical contractors, plumbers, builders, roofers, civil contractors, surveyors, engineers, architects, draftsmen, block layers, steel suppliers, fencers, painting contractors, commercial cleaners, window and security screen manufacturers, landscapers, roller door suppliers.
- Fishing – Fishing charter owners, prawn industry, inshore and offshore, pelagic, barramundi and crab fishermen;
- Pastoral – Cattle transport businesses, mustering operators, abattoir operators, exporting live cattle, beef cattle producers;
- Mining industry and associated support services;
- Retail shops and on-line retail, corner stores and supermarkets, service stations, florists, clothing stores, hardware shops, fast food franchises, music shops, jewelers, newsagents;
- Health – Doctors, dentists, podiatrists, orthodontists, chiropractors, physiotherapists, opticians, medical practices, pharmacies, beauty salons:
- Motor Trade – Car dealerships, mechanical workshops, auto electricians, paint and panel shops, towing operators, truck wheel aligners, detailers, automotive parts retailers;
- Marine – Retailing of both recreational and commercial fishing boats, motors, trailers, spare parts and service, marine surveyors, charter boats, work boats, barge owners and operators, boat hire operators;
- Real Estate – Real estate and business agents, property management agents, conveyancers, valuers, auctioneers, property developers;
- Transport – Road transport line haul, truck repairers, truck alignments, storage and distribution, couriers and delivery drivers;
- Not-for-profit Clubs and Associations;
- Plant and Equipment Hire;
- Tourism – Bus tours, hotel and motel owners, caravan Parks, charter operators, travel agents;
- Advertising, marketing and event management;
- Hospitality – Restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, clubs and entertainment venues, entertainers and bands;
- Agriculture – Horse studs, beekeepers, pig farmers, chicken farmers and egg production;
- Horticulture – Nurseries, flower growers, fruit growers, mango and melon growers;
- Financial Services – Mortgage and finance brokers, insurance agents and financial planners;
- Professional Services – Solicitors and barristers.
Membership and industry affiliations
DN Bell & Associates is governed by a strict code of industry practices, both by CPA Australia and the Australian Taxation Office as well as by Northern Territory and Federal legislation.
We are members of a number of industry associations as follows;
- CPA Australia (Fellow)
- Tax Institute of Australia (Chartered Tax Advisor)
- Registered Tax Agent
- Tax Practitioner Board Approved
- National Tax Accountants Association
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (Member)
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Licensed Business Agent
- Australia China Business Association
- XERO Partners
- MYOB Partners